Just some random thoughts on a few things related to Nebraska football.
· First, I’m ecstatic we held onto Shawn Watson for the meantime. I’m excited to see what he can do with some of the talent I think we have on the offensive side of the ball. One thing that sticks out to me is how much he has talked up our offensive line in recent months. I hope to maybe take a closer look at some of his offenses at Colorado before the season starts.
· Nebraska also scored its first big recruiting win of the Pelini era by regaining the commitment of Will Compton over Illinois and Mizzou (sorry BigHead). We needed linebackers in this class and Compton could potentially see the field early if he lives up to the hype.
· This weekend the Huskers bring in another big group of recruits for official visits.
The list of guys, per Scout.com, set to visit:
S Jordan Makovicka (East Butler)
WR LaRon Byrd (Boutte, La.)
ATH Kyler Reed (Overland Park, Kan.)
OL Ricky Henry (North Dakota St. Coll. of Science)
OL Brian Thorson (Millard North)
OL/DL Baker Steinkuhler (Lincoln Southwest)
ATH Courtney Osborne (Garland, Texas)
WR Steven Osborne (Garland, Texas)
ATH Prentiss Waggner (Clinton, La.)
WR Antonio Bell (Daytona Beach, Fla.)
WR Kenny Stafford (Columbus, Ohio)
I’d love to get both guys from Louisiana and all of the WR prospects look pretty legit (especially the film on Kenny Stafford…why the crummy offer list?). Another guy to watch out of the group is Courtney Osborne – he also has some pretty impressive film floating around there.
· Slightly unrelated but have any of you been watching the Senior Bowl practices on the NFL Network? I had a lot of time on my hands this week and I watched almost all of the coverage. I was really fascinated by it all, especially the verbiage and techniques the NFL coaching staffs throw at the guys. Talk about an adjustment.
· I have a new favorite assistant coach – Mike Ekeler. The guy showed up for the coaches’ in home visit with Will Compton with a semi-permanent tattoo of Will’s name on his body. Ekeler’s energy levels are also said to rival those of Will “Boom Motherf*cker” Muschamp.
That’s all for now.