Football season has officially arrived.
Several sportsbooks have released their opening lines for the first weekend. Click here for the complete listings. Here are some of the games that might be of interest to you:
Thursday, September 3rd
Saturday, September 5th
Sunday, September 6th
Monday, September 7th
Key items of note:
- Iowa State plays North Dakota State, Kansas plays Northern Colorado, and Kansas State plays UMass so good luck getting a line. Not exactly scheduling competition, aye?
- Keep an eye on UTEP at home vs. Buffalo. Kansas travels to UTEP to face Qb Trevor Vittatoe in week 2.
- The Missouri/Illinois line has shot up to 7 from 3 for Illinois. Too many question marks in the secondary to handle Juice Williams and Arrelious Benn?
- The Oklahoma State/Georgia line has also moved up – from 3 to 6.5 for OSU. New Georgia Qb Joe Cox better bring his ‘A’ game for the Bulldogs to have a chance.
- Baylor/Wake Forest is a huge measuring stick for the young Bears and Robert Griffin. WFU returns 9 starters on offense including Qb Riley Skinner. 2 points seems low.
- No doubt all Husker eyes will be watching Alabama/Virginia Tech on Saturday night. It’s also going to be a terrible game to wager on. Save your money for Rutgers on Monday night.
For those of you who have enjoyed our regular ‘Take the Double Extra Points‘ feature at DXP, it will be back and better than ever. We’re proud to say that our ‘Double Extra Lock’ finished last season with a staggering 8-3 ATS (73%) record in the regular season and a 5-1 ATS (83%) record in the bowl season. (Feel free to check our numbers in the archives.) Could Nevada, UTEP, Rutgers, or Nebraska be the first lock of the season? I think there’s a strong possibility one of them will. And of course, the lovely college coeds have also signed on again for the season which is great news for everyone.
Secondly, we will be doing a few pick ’em leagues again. I’ll have all the information here when it becomes available and we hope to get several other Big 12 blogs to join in again. If you recall, there has been some real domination going on over the past year from the regular season and the bowl season leagues from the Husker side. I’m not about to begin to think that’s going to change anytime soon.
And finally, some important news to get to. It appears that we are almost ready – not quite – to make a move here. It won’t be much of a change, but we are going to be getting rid of the ‘blogspot’ at the end of our URL and become simply http://www.doubleextrapoint.com. It’s not a radical change, but the appearance will receive an upgrade as well as some new features that I hope you’ll enjoy. When the time comes near, I’ll be sure to let you in on some information as well as ask for your input on a few things.
In the meantime, sit tight and enjoy yourself. Football is almost here.